Art, Aesthetics, and Idolatry (Part 1)
- Western culture promotes the development of and appreciation for the arts. These broadly encompass:
- (i) the visual arts - painting, sculpture, photography, film and perhaps also including architecture and design;
- (ii) the performing arts - music, theatre, dance, opera, mime; and
- (iii) the literary arts - poetry, prose, drama.
- Torah thought has much to say about each of these three areas and we will be’H look at them in future shiurim.
- In this and the following shiurim we will focus solely on art and sculpture, first from a hashkafic and then from a halachic perspective.